Filing Procedures -
Petition for Assignment
Checklist - Small Estate
Michigan law prohibits court employees from providing legal advice and completing forms, petitions, or documents. MCL 700.1211. Click here for a list of legal aid\legal services which may be able to provide you with assistance.
- Click here to see if your estate can use the Petition for Assignment procedure.
- Note: Only an heir, a person who paid for the funeral bill, or a guardian or conservator holding assets of the decedent may file this petition.
- If the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) paid a portion of the funeral, please login through the MiBridges account that was used to apply for the burial assistance to obtain the letter as to the reimbursement amount. If the application for burial assistance was not made online or you are unable to download the applicable letter, contact the DHHS office for your zip code to request the letter indicating the reimbursement amount. To “find your Wayne County office by zip code”, please follow the link through the DHHS at: Wayne County (michigan.gov).
- Gather the following documents:
- Death Certificate
- Copy of Paid Funeral Contract
- Letter from DHHS (see above #3 if applicable)
- Information about Property
- Real Estate: Copy of tax statement with state equalized value (SEV) for year of death or appraisal (from certified appraiser) within one year of death.
- Automobile: Year, make, and model; also VIN number, if possible.
- Bank Account: Name of bank and account number or branch location. (Include this information on the MC97 form)
- Stocks: For each stock, name of company, number of shares, and share price on date of death. Certificate numbers or investment account numbers should also be included, if possible.
- Fill out the following SCAO forms:
- Click here to find out how you can file your petition.
- Submit your documents to the Court in the following order (as one PDF if submitting electronically):
- Filing Fee
- $25 Filing Fee + $12 Certification Fee = $37 plus inventory fee based on the value of estate, see WCPC-Filing/Probate Fees for inventory fee calculator)
- You may calculate the inventory fee by clicking here. If you file electronically or by fax, you will receive a notification to pay with the amount of your total fees, once your filing has been accepted.
- Fees can be paid:
- electronically via ePayment online, or
- via mail by MICHIGAN CHECK or MONEY ORDER
- Make checks payable to: “Wayne County Probate Court”
- Mail checks/money order along with a letter with your case # referencing what the payment is for to:
- Wayne County Probate Court
2 Woodward Ave.
1305 Coleman A. Young Municipal Center
Detroit, Mich. 48226
- Wayne County Probate Court
- Receive Order – Once the fees have been paid the Order of Assignment will be issued and sent to you. NO LETTERS OF AUTHORITY ARE ISSUED AND NO PERSONAL REPRESENTATIVE IS APPOINTED VIA THE PETITION FOR ASSIGNMENT SMALL ESTATE PROCEDURE.
NOTE: Once accepted for filing refunds will not be given.