Thursday, September 29, 2016
|Session for Attorneys New to Training
||9:00 am - 12:00 pm
|Session for all Probate Attorneys
||1:30 pm - 3:00 pm
The attorney training program will not contain handouts. Registrants may retrieve materials via the Court's website. Attorneys are welcome to bring their laptops to the program; you will be able to pull up the handouts during the training sessions from the Court's website, in addition to following the power point presentations by the speakers.
Thursday, September 29, 2016
Coleman A. Young Municipal Center - 13th Floor Auditorium
Initial Attorney Training – 9:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M.
Courtwide Attorney Training – 1:30 P.M. to 3:00 P.M.
What is the Attorney Training Program?
The Attorney Training Program was initiated by Wayne County Probate Court in early 1996 to promote and insure the effectiveness of counsel assigned to represent parties in probate matters. Completion of one or both sessions of this seminar is mandatory for all attorneys desiring to qualify to receive future assignments from the Probate Court.
Do I have to attend both sessions?
Attorneys who attended any of the attorney training programs from 1996 - 2015 are only required to attend the September 29, 2016 afternoon program for recertification. Attorneys who did not attend any of the seminars from 1996 - 2015 must attend both the morning and afternoon sessions.
Will the seminar be offered again this year?
No. We only offer the seminar once a year.
How much is the Attorney Training Program?
The cost is $75.00 total, whether you attend one or both sessions.
How do I register?
Click here for the Registration form. It is also available at the Wayne County Probate Court or you can call (313) 224-5685 or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and a registration form will be emailed to you.
For additional information on registration, call the Office of the Chief Deputy Probate Register at (313) 224-5685 or (313) 224-5602.
Complete the registration form with your check made payable to Wayne County Probate Court. Mail the check and completed registration form to:
Office of Budget & Management
Wayne County Probate Court
1307 Coleman A. Young Municipal Center
Detroit, MI 48226-3447
How do I become eligible for assignments?
To become eligible to receive assignments from the Wayne County Probate Court, an attorney will be required to:
- Attend the Attorney Training session offered by Wayne County Probate Court on September 29, 2016 from 1:30 to 3:00 P.M.
- Also attend the Attorney Training Session from 9:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. if you did not attend any of the Attorney Training Programs from 1996 - 2015.
- Check-in at the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center 13th Floor Auditorium before each session.
- Submit by October 28, 2016 a complete “Attorney Profile Sheet” (provided by the Court in seminar materials), and a current malpractice insurance “face sheet,” showing aggregate coverage of at least $250,000.
- Note: Attorneys who do not provide proof of malpractice insurance will be eligible to receive guardian ad litem assignments only.
Important Note: If you do not obtain eligibility to receive appointments through this program, payment vouchers for any Probate Court assignments will NOT be honored by Wayne County.